Click here to find an assessor

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is part epc 1
of the legal documentation required when selling
or renting a property. The certificates are commissioned by the vendor, or Landlord (or their agent) from an Energy Assessor, who visits the property to collect the relevant data and create the certificate.

This data includes the date of construction and location of the property and relevant fittings (heating systems, insulation or double glazing, for example). EPCs can be provided for a wide range of properties, including:

  • Domestic: The EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) is the final product that results from the inspection by an energy assessor and will have an A to G rating (rather like white kitchen goods). Energy Performance Certificates tell you how energy efficient a property is on a scale of A-G and certification for domestic properties can only be provided by an assessor qualified as Dip.DEA or Dip.HI
  • Commercial (DEC): Along with the building fabric assessment, many commercial properties may also require an Air Conditioning Energy Assessment or a Display Energy Certificate
  • Air Conditioning (TM44): An air conditioning assessment can only be carried out by someone who is qualified as Dip.ACEA. This is required where the premises have air conditioning installed and the total installed capacity is 10Kw or greater. Therefore if you have more than 3 units installed it is worth checking their individual capacities. This is not a qualification that is usually held by an air conditioning service company.

With this number or capacity there are additional legal requirements for the property owner &/or tenant to comply with:

• You are required to maintain ‘on site’ an Fgas Register for inspection by the H & S Executive. The register carries information about the type & volume contained within the individual systems. This includes information about how much refrigerant is lost & replaced during servicing.

• You are required to maintain records of servicing carried out, along with Waste Transfer notes for any refrigerant removed from the site. The servicing requirements vary dependant on the size of the installed systems, from annual to quarterly.

Display Energy Certification (DEC)

A Display Energy Certificate can only be produced by an assessor with the qualification Dip. DEC. They are required to visit the property and collect relevant data and the occupant is required to provide further information:

• Energy bills for the previous 12 months both gas & electric

• If fuel is by an oil fired system or one from LPG then delivery receipts for the same 12 month period

• Confirmation of the use of building(s) and any occupancy differences.

Once a certificate has been provided you are required to display this in a prominent position, for example near to the entrance(s) to the premises or buildings. Where there is more than one building on site with its own energy supply, then you will require a certificate for each building that falls within the regulations. The validity of the certificates is 10 years for those 500m^2 – 999m^2 & 1 year for buildings greater than 1000m^2.

New Build & On Construction

For both types of property, Commercial & Domestic, there is a requirement to provide an Energy Assessment Certificate.

SAP 2009: In October 2010, Standard Assessment Procedure – SAP – regulations were made a mandatory part of any new build, extension or conversion project to ensure the energy efficiency of buildings. The SAP calculations establishes the carbon emissions and energy costs of a new build, linked to ventilations, light, heat and hot water in the building. The SAP calculations need to be considered at the very beginning of a build, at the design stage of the project.

There are two types of certification:

• A Preliminary Energy Assessment – this is required if the intention is for the builder or developer to sell ‘off plan’. A full SAP (OCEA) assessment will be required when the building is complete for sale and for the Local Authority Building Control sign off.

• On Completion Energy Assessment – this is required for all buildings sold, rented or leased. The certification is valid for 10 years exactly as an EPC is.

Therefore, if you are about to embark on a new build, extension or conversion and would like help and advice on SAP submissions that must be logged before any works are undertaken, why not contact one of our members?